Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bless the Rest

I was really encouraged today at church to pray for the nations. There was a guest speaker and his humor and passion was wonderful.
One of the main verses he quoted was from John 10:14-16. It is a quote from Jesus. "I am the good shepherd." (This title is in reference to the paragraph and verses before, when Jesus is using the example of the relationship between a shepherd and his sheep- an analogy for God and his people. Jesus is stating that He would never abandon His sheep. The comparison was that a hired hand might and probably would, desert the sheep because he is not invested/ interested in their lives unlike the true shepherd.)
So, Jesus/ God will never abandon and is therefore a "good shepherd," I continue with the verses that were actually focused on during the sermon.
"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me- just as the Father knows me and I know the Father- and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."
The speakers focus was more on that last half of the verses. He spoke about bringing the word of God to peoples that do not know Him. He spoke of his work in Iraq and helping the Curds, and how God is working through the believers there.
He also quoted Paul and his ministery written in Romans 15: 20. "It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation. Rather, as it is written: "Those who were not told about him will see, and those who have not heard will understand." (Isaiah 52:15) Then he quoted Habakkuk 2:14, "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea."
It was really encouraging to hear about what God is doing in Iraq and just how simply these people are helping that nation. I was encouraged by his reminder of Jesus to the disciples, to "Go, and make diciples of all the nations." I was great to be reminded that God is concerned for all and desires that all would know Him.
Pray for the unbelievers. Pray for those that bring the knowledge of God to people who do not know Him. Be encouraged God will make himself known.


Below is the link for Frontiers and more about their ministry. The speaker was Dr. Bob Blinco and you can hear his message in the other link through First Baptist Church. Just click on January 17th.

http://frontiers.org/
http://www.fbceugene.com/resources/media-messages/messages

No comments: