Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Muscle becomes overstretched and tears...

Exhausted and sore are the two words to adequately describe last week. Vaccines, soccer, birthday celebrations and Willamette Pass trip were all events added to my regular schedule.
With my extern draw a month away, I have much paper work to complete. Proof of vaccinations is one of those. Sadly, I needed two immunizations and some blood drawn to get my file in order. I chose to have my appointment Wednesday, kayak day, thinking that the action in the water would work the vaccine throughout my muscles, lessening the pain. Friday, I am sure my deltoid was sore only from the immunization. Those TB shots are potent.
Thursday afternoon, I played some soccer with friends. My tailbone that I hurt over winter break, snowboarding, I thought had healed. Unfortunately, later that evening my muscles surrounding my sacrum complained of the fast actions demanded of them earlier.

As if my body was not evenly debilitated, I added stilettos to the mix Friday night. It was a girlfriend in the Radiology program's Birthday, so we celebrated. We went out to sushi and later martinis. It was a lot of fun. Add sore feet and tired mind to the ensemble.
Saturday morning, after five hours of sleep, I dragged my exhausted body up to the school to leave for Willamette Pass at 5:30am. We arrived at the resort with plenty of time to catch the first lift. It was a great day with spring skiing weather. I snowboarded the first half of the day, then snow bladed the second. (Snow blades are shorter than regular skis, but longer than snow skates.) I had so much fun trying the snow blades, as I had never been on a set before. Luckily, it was very similar to skiing. While riding back on the bus that evening, I realized that my sacral area hurt even more.

Now, that the rest of my body has recovered from the abuse of the week. All that remains is pain surrounding my tailbone. Perhaps, I have strained some muscles. I was barely able to run a mile today because of the excruciating pain. (Such an unfortunate thing since the weather lately has been wonderfully warm.) It is really bizarre that also the action of moving forward in a chair hurts. I may have over done it.

This seems to be my curse: Fitness equals injury. Rest and sitting still, are just not things I do well.












No comments: