Sunday, March 17, 2013

Christ is better than anything else!

When being called to be a disciple of Christ both Matthew and Luke were very clear in recording Christ's biography. To be saved it is quite simple, they record that one simply has to believe that Jesus is the Christ, accept His forgiveness of all sin and that person will live in eternity with the rest of those that claim the same. But to be a disciple of Christ the standard is raised. Change is expected as one pursues truth and conformity to the likeness of Christ. Not a bad thing to become, since Christ was the most perfect example of human love- Just a very hard to emulate. Thankfully, the Spirit is present in the lives of those that believe and assists in the transformation.
This Sunday, when I heard Keith speak on this change, and challenge of being a disciple of Christ, I was immediately convicted to pray more:

  • Pray to God for the best for other people that I might not like, and certainly for those I do not love.
  • Pray to come to a better understanding and relationship with God
  • Pray that God would me give wisdom
I was also struck by the difficult statements recorded in Luke- and quite frankly I don't want to do them because they are tough. I want to quit, but disciples are defiantly not quitters. And if I claim to be a follower of Christ, and desire to represent Him well to the world around me, I need to follow His instruction left in the bible. (I have paraphrased the verses in Luke Chapters 14:26-34.)

  • If I hate any member of my family, I can not be a disciple.
  • If I can not set my life aside and be self-less in my plans, I can not be a disciple.
  • If I have not considered the cost of being a Christ follower and how different/ difficult it will be, I am ill informed and have not read the scriptures, and can not be a disciple
  • Submit on all levels to Jesus
Why? Is the first thing that then pops into my mind after this list. And again it is answered.

  • You have extreme worth to God 
  • You have a purpose and destiny
  • With Christ, you reach your full potential
  • To live in love and know truth
  • God is love
  • Christ is better than anything else!
Change happens in small increments at times and some life experiences expedite the process. So, for today I will focus on the task of praying, and I will be still and know that he is God, and He is good. Psalm 46:10

No comments: