Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Arts in Bolivia




Craft Fair
At each booth not only could you buy the product but also a private session and materials to make the specific craft displayed. Such a foreign concept to me that one would come to a fair to learn how to decoupage. But I guess when you do not have a Michael's where else are you to go?
Coral Y Orquestra Filarmonica de Cochabamba presentan Carmina Burana de Carl Orff
 It was lovely to be transported for an evening to an event center, one could easily place in a golf course in the states. And best part it cost less than $7.
Dance
 Last night, I saw my first dance performance in Bolivia! Modern dance no less. The venue was an open air theater on the grounds of an historical mansion/museum and was breath taking.  I again felt back home in Eugene, as I watched in the warm night air with a cup of coffee in hand. (Well, the coffee wasn´t coffee buy our NW standards, but that is a different topic altogether.) Best night of entertainment yet! Quick lesson in language: make sure to say "dance" and not "bilar." Dance is OK only in conversation with curtain groups, however traditional dance is good in context of fair or parade. This week is a holiday week- The birthday of Cochabamba. So, In the stadium tonight, I am going to see some more traditional dances of Cochabamba.

No comments: