Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Oswald Chambers Devotion for the 20th

"Jesus' parable of the talents recorded in Matthew 25:14-30 was a warning that it is possible for us to misjudge our capacities. This parable has nothing to do with natural gifts and abilities, but relates to the gift of the Holy Spirit as He was first given at Pentecost. We must never measure our spiritual capacity on the basis of our education or our intellect; our capacity in spiritual things is measured on the basis of the promises of God. If we get less than God wants us to have, we will falsely accuse Him as the servant falsely accused his master when he said, "You expect more of me than you gave me the power to do. You demand too much of me, and I cannot stand true to you here where you have placed me."When it is a question of God's Almighty Spirit, never say, "I can't." Never allow the limitation of your own natural ability to enter into the matter. If we have received the Holy Spirit, God expects the work of the Holy Spirit to be exhibited in us.
"The servant justified himself, while condemning his lord on every point, as if to say, "Your demand on me is way out of proportion to what you gave to me." Have we been falsely accusing God by daring to worry after He has said, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you"? (Matt 6:33). Worrying means exactly what this servant implied- "I know your intent is to leave me unprotected and vulnerable." A person who is lazy in the natural realm is always critical, saying, "I haven't had a decent chance," and someone who is lazy in the spiritual realm is critical of God. Lazy people always strike out at others in an independent way.
"Never forget that our capacity and capability in spiritual matters is measured by, and based on, the promises of God. Is God able to fulfill His promises? Our answer depends on Whether or not we have received the Holy Spirit."

What am I doing with my Spiritual giftings?

3 comments:

cheezilla said...

Thank you Bethany for your teaching. (I hope it is okay that an apostate like me is still seeking wisdom from Christian teachings; which makes me ask all kinds of questions about my responsibility having received the Spirit and then rejected it...but I digress) As a secularist, I am still touched by Jesus admonition to "seek first the Kingdom of God" as I realize that I often slip into worldliness for periods of time and this ultimately leaves me feeling unsatisfied. On a humorous note, verse 27 (American Standard version on my iphone!) says: "thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the bankers, and at my coming I should have received back mine own with interest". While a noble sentiment, I find the analogy falls very flat in light of our current Wall Street situation. :-)

Love,
Michael

bethany said...

Hey Michael!
I agree the interest of banks currently will not give you complete financial security in the future. How sad how times have changed.
The part of the reading I appreciated was the challenge: that I have been given something from God, and what am I doing with that to make God glorified by it's multiplication? I know that what I have been given (not only money) is not necessarily dependent on how much time I focus on God, but I do know that I am made more aware of my abilities and more willing to help/love others when sustained by Him daily.
I know that sounds totally rediculous but my mood is much improved by being in the sunlight and similarly my daily joy by God. Ultimately though, I can't wait to hear Him say in heaven(much like the master did to the servant)"Well done, good and faithful servant."

cheezilla said...

As always Beth, your loving response is truly welcome. The idea of being sustained and encouraged by God (re: a daily spiritual practice) is admirable and does not sound ridiculous at all. Thanks :0)