Monday, November 9, 2009

I finished it!

Art projects, for me, are opportunities to play with new mediums. Generally by the end of the experiment, I will have learned how to use it and whether I like the medium enough to use it again in the future.
My most recent experiment was with matte. I chose a paste that would dry clear and not shine, effectively just adding texture to the painting. This endeavor gave me a bit of a heart attack, as the matte goes on completely opaque. I was so scared that I would never again see the image that took me months to paint. Hours later as it began to dry the colors started to show through. It still took the painting a week to completely dry. Yes, I was stressing it the whole time.
My friend Nathan was the lucky candidate for the art as his birthday was coming up (and so also inspired the subject). Well, his birthday passed and so did his graduation. Luckily, I finished the painting before Christmas, and can now say that I was ahead of that time of gift giving.
Here is a picture of the finished product!

No comments: